The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office has employment opportunities for qualified men and women who are seeking satisfying and rewarding careers in the field of Detention and Patrol (Sheriff Deputy). The Sheriff’s Office has been recognized both locally and nationally for its outstanding record and achievements.
DETENTION DEPUTY CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Age: Detention applicants must be at least 19 years of age at the time of employment.
Patrol applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of employment.
- Citizenship: All applicants must be citizens of the United States
- Military Status: Former military personnel are required to furnish a copy of their form DD214 that shows the type of discharge received.
- Education: All applicants must be high school graduates or possess a G.E.D. certification or its equivalent. College work preferred.
- Residence: All Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office personnel are required to live within 45 minutes drive time from the Detention Facility.
- Character: Records are checked both locally, other jurisdictions and with the F.B.I. Before appointment, a background check is made to determine the applicants character. Applicants with any felony convictions will not be considered. The applicant also must not have been convicted of a crime equivalent to a felony under the uniform code of military justice.
- Fingerprints: All applicants will be fingerprinted. A search of local, state and national fingerprint files will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has a criminal record.
- License: All applicants must be able to possess a valid driver’s license at the time of employment and/or must obtain a valid Kansas Driver’s License within 30 days of employment.
- Physical: Upon initial employment, a complete physical examination conducted by a recognized health practitioner will be required.
It starts by visiting the Sedgwick County Department of Human Resources web site at www.hrepartners.com. Written and Physical Ability testing are done by appointment only after the written test has been passed. You must also pass a Psychological test and a Polygraph test. For more information, call Sgt. Olsen at 316.660.3800.